How to Make Rendang Meat — Rendang meat is one type of typical Indonesian culinary that is very popular both at home and abroad. Rendang is a culinary origin from Minang, West Sumatra, which is quite easy to find in Padang restaurants that are widespread throughout Indonesia. The taste of rendang is delicious and savory, the perfect blend of meat, traditional spices and coconut milk.
Rendang cuisine comes from the word ‘maradang’ which means the cooking process to remove water. The process of cooking rendang is tricky. The rendang takes 7 to 8 hours to cook, to ensure that the meat dries completely, the oil rises and the water is completely drained.
Rendang can be made from other ingredients besides meat. Rendang eggs, lungs, jengkol and shellfish can also be made. However, the most important and famous thing is rendang made from beef. Here are some recipes and ways to make rendang meat that are delicious, tender, and certainly easy enough for you to follow.
Simple Rendang Meat
The rendang meat recipe is synonymous with religious holidays such as Eid al-Adha and Eid al-Fitr. It has become a tradition for the Indonesian people to create a Padang beef rendang recipe to eat together during Eid. If you are not used to making this food, you can try it easily. Let’s see how to make it with the following Padang rendang recipe.
Ingredients for Simple Rendang Meat:
- 2 Kilograms of beef
- 4 pieces of lemongrass
- 4 pieces of turmeric leaves
- 4 centimeters of tamarind
- 2.5 Liter of coconut milk
- 6 pieces of leaves lime
- 1.5 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 / 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander
- 3 centimeters roasted turmeric
- 2 cm galangal
- 2 cm ginger burned
- 120 grams red chilies
- 100 g large red chilies
- 8 cloves garlic
- 12 shallots
- 5 grains kemiri
How to Make Simple Rendang Meat:
- Wash the beef and drain it.
- Cut the beef into medium cubes. Make sure the beef to be cooked for the rendang is not cut too thin and small because it will crumble easily during the process.
- Provide a large skillet. Add the coconut milk, lemongrass, sliced shallots, tamarind, and grilled turmeric.
- Boil the dough over medium heat and stir the coconut milk while it is heated so it doesn’t break and boil evenly.
- Blend the other spices and slowly add them to the mixture while stirring for about 30 minutes. Boil it until the coconut milk looks oily.
- Put in the beef pieces, cook over low heat until the coconut milk dries and thickens. This is done so that the rendang spices seep into the beef fiber.
- Keep stirring until the rendang meat is evenly tender.
- Remove the cooked beef and serve.
Recipe for Original Minang Rendang
Rendang has at least a lot of differences from the rendang meat that you usually eat. If you go to Padang and eat rendang, of course you will find rendang that is different from shape to taste. In terms of taste, which is definitely spicier and looks redder will arouse your appetite.
Original Minang Rendang Ingredients:
- 1 kg beef
- 1 kg concentrated coconut milk from 3 old coconuts
- 1 glass of water
- 2 lemongrass
- 5 pcs kaffir lime leaves
- 2 turmeric leaves
- 2 tamarind
- fruit 5 cloves
- 2 cm cinnamon
- 2 flowers of lawang (if any)
- Salt to taste
Smooth Seasoning for the rendang meat:
- 20 red chilies
- 20 cloves of red onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 cm ginger
- 2 cm galangal
- 1 tsp coriander
How to Make Original Minang Rendang Meat:
- The first step to practicing the recipe for meat rendang is washing the meat thoroughly, then cut according to taste.
- Grind or blend all ground spices.
- Heat a skillet, then add coconut milk, water and beef. Keep stirring so that the coconut milk doesn’t break.
- While continuing to stir, add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric leaves, tamarind and salt.
- After it dries and turns brown, add the cinnamon, star anise, and cloves. Wait for it to dry and the oil comes out.
- Serve on a flat plate with a sprinkling of onions which will be even more delicious.
There are some of the most famous rendang meat recipes that you can try with your family at home. It should not be very hard as you can find most of the ingredients at a regular store or a local market.